Kibbutz Misgav-Am was founded by young Palmach members on November 2,1945, the day of the Balfour Declaration. New immigrants from Europe, the United States and South America began to settle here in the late 1970s. Misgav-Am is 840 meters ( 2760 feet) above sea level atop the Ramim Mountain range, we overlook the Hula Valley on one side, and on the other side the neighbouring Lebanese village of Adaisseh.
Around 80 of the 300+ people living in Misgav Am are members. Many residents study in the nearby Academic College of Tel Hai. The kibbutz residents celebrate some of the Jewish holidays together and are a kind of kibbutz tradition: Lag Ba'omer, Yom Ha'atzmaut, Hanukkah, Tu Bishvat, Shavuot, and Sukut, The kibbutz offers an education system beginning age three and ending after high school. There is a daycare center for babies, another for infants and also a kindergarten. Elementary school is at kibbutz Kfar Giladi, junior and senior high school is located at kibbutz Dafna.
The kibbutz also has a covered swimming pool, a library, a mini-market, fossil museum, sports courts and outdoor green spaces, as well as a health clinic which belongs to Clalit Health Services (Kupat Holim Clalit).
On 7 April 1980, five terrorists from the Iraqi-backed Arab Liberation Front penetrated Misgav Am in the night and entered the nursery. They killed the kibbutz secretary and an infant boy and held the rest of the children hostage, demanding the release of about 50 terrorists held in Israeli prisons. The first raid of an IDF infantry unit was unsuccessful, but a second attempt, a few hours later, succeeded, and all the terrorists were killed. Two kibbutz members and one soldier were killed, four children and 11 soldiers were wounded.
Immediately after the attack, Israeli troops entered southern Lebanon to wipe out terrorist nests and to intensify the pressure on the Palestinian terrorists in Lebanon. Israel withdrew after five days, because of heavy political pressure by the United States. In the years of Israeli presence in southern Lebanon (1982–2000), the kibbutz had cordial relations with the people on the other side of the border, despite the state of war between Lebanon and Israel since 1948.